Prep time: 30 mins
Cook time: 25 mins
3/4 cup chickpea flour
2 scoops Two Islands Natural Pea Protein
1 cup water
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (plus more for the pan)
1/2 cup spring onion, chopped
4 asparagus spears, chopped
2 portobello mushroom, chopped
1/2 cup cabbage, shredded
1 carrot, grated
1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp tamari soy sauce (gluten-free)
1 tsp toasted sesame oil
1/2 tsp red chili flakes (optional)
Cilantro, chopped, for topping (optional)
Toasted sesame seeds, for topping
Edible flowers (optional)
Hoisen sauce (or other Asian style sauce), for dipping
1. Prepare your batter first by combining the chickpea flour, pea protein, water, salt and olive oil and whisking until well combined. let sit for 30 min while you prep the rest.
2. On the stove top, saute the garlic with olive oil until fragrant on medium heat. Add the asparagus, mushroom, cabbage, carrot and spring onion and cook for 10 minutes until softened.
2. Add the sesame oil, soy sauce and chili flakes and mix well. Turn off heat.
3. Preheat your oven to 230 C and while it is heating up place your skillet in the oven to warm. After 10 min remove the skillet and drizzle with olive oil and swirl to coat (caution cast iron pan is very hot). Add your vegetable mixture and top with your batter mixture, let rest for a minute.
4. Fan bake the skillet in the middle rack for 25 min or until slightly brown on top. Remove from oven and let cool slightly but serve warm.
5. Top with sesame seeds and cilantro. Cut into four portions and serve alongside your dipping sauce.
This recipe was created for Two Islands by Caitlyn of @caitlilarose .