Peanut Butter & Jelly Cake
1 cup buckwheat flour
1 cup almond flour
¼ cup Two Islands Peanut Butter Protein Powder
¼ cup tapioca flour
1 cup raw cacao powder
1 ½ cups coconut sugar
1tsp baking powder
1tsp baking soda
1 pinch of Himalayan salt
2 cups of nut milk (coconut used)
⅔ cup warm water
½ cup peanut butter
1 cup melted coconut oil
2Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 can coconut milk solids (from the top of the can when it separates)
¼ cup unrefined icing sugar
3 scoops Two Islands Peanut Butter Protein Powder
2-3Tbsp peanut butter
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees fan bake. Line two 8 inch baking tins and set aside.
2. In a mixing bowl combine the coconut sugar and warm water, mix well until sugar has dissolved. Add in coconut oil and peanut butter, mix to combine.
3. In a separate bowl sift all of the dry ingredients in. Slowly add the coconut sugar mixture and nut milk until all combined. Add in apple cider vinegar and mix thoroughly.
4. Split the mixture between the baking tins and put into oven.
5. Check after 18 mins with a cake skewer to ensure the centre is cooked, you will know if is baked through if the skewer comes out clean. Remove from the oven once cooked and gently place on a baking rack to cool.
6. Once cool assemble the cakes together by spreading a layer jam or ‘chia jam’ on one of the two cakes, then top with a small portion of the peanut butter frosting. Place the second cake on top and decorate with the remaining peanut butter frosting.
7. Frosting: In a cake mixture beat together the coconut milk solids and icing sugar on a high speed so it becomes a creamy consistency, then add the peanut butter and continue to whip. Lastly add the protein powder and beat on high until well combined into a thick icing texture.
Note: keep in an airtight cake container in a cool dry place for up to 5 days